Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Ride Continues

So tired, so tired, so tired. Sun shining. Chickens clucking (yes, that's right I said chickens). It's 9:20 am. I don't even remember the last time I got to sleep in that late. Wahoo!! Saturday seems to be starting out rathing nicely, aside from the chickens. We lazily get ready for the day and decide to just skip breakfast and head right for Cafe Rio. Delicious. I know there are many of you who are drooling right now. I was going to take pictures of us enjoying our Cafe Rio, but there were signs posted on the door stating that no photography is allowed on the premises.
We are now stuffed to the gills. Chad heads back to the house to watch the Suns play, Katie and I head off on my trip down memory lane. First stop, the BYU Bookstore where I sufficiently paraphenalia myself and my family. I'm not a big one to flaunt my BYUness, but who knows when I will actually come to BYU again. With this in mind, I decide to go a bit wild (at least wild for me. Sorry, no pictures). Once we are loaded up with BYU stuff, we head off to campus. Here I am outside the Harris Fine Arts Center where I spent the last two years of my college life.
For those of you who don't know, I graduated in Art History. Very interesting stuff. Loved to learn, hated the papers.
Here is the wall that I spent two years staring at and desperately trying to stay awake as my teachers showed slide after slide after slide. This room doesn't seem to be used for that purpose at this time. Also, the slide cases are not in the hallway anymore. Also, I couldn't find the professors' offices. Mystery. Where did Art History go? The world may never know.
Here is a lovely picture of the statue of Brigham Young. Now that the new library has been built, I guess there is no more running down the quad at night to see Brigham Young do the funky chicken.
I love spring. I love pretty spring flowers. Here are some pretty spring flowers on a tree outide of the HFAC.

Final stop on campus is the John Taylor building, or Comprehensive Clinic. This building is where the Masters and Doctorate students of Marriage and Family Therapy, Audiology, and Speech Pathology have thier clinics. I spent 2 fabulous years as a receptionist in this building. I really liked this job and the people I worked with and those I got to meet along the way were a hoot. That is the end of our campus tour.
Up next, living quarters.
Here is what is left of the dorms known as Deseret Towers. I was shocked to see them demolished. Where is U-Hall? I feel a sense of loss. Sniff. Also hidden in the background somewhere is the BYU Creamery where I worked for 3 years. Many shakes were made, many dates were also made due to my amazing shake-making abilities (sorry, no picture of the Creamery. I can't believe I forgot this one).
Ah, The Brittany. My first apartment. Oh, the memories that were made in 8B. There are so many I don't even know where to begin and so I will just end this memory here. Trish and Em (I would include Nicole too, but I don't think she even knows about this blog), if you are reading this, you know what I mean. Also Marcy, our honorary roommate and a great friend who has been with me since my first summer at DT.
After The Brittany came Liberty Square. Yet another fun apartment where I made even more absolutely wonderful friends and some more fabulous memories. 34B was where it was at (That's the right number, isn't it?). This is actually where I met Doug. He lived on the other side of my wall. We would wake on Sunday mornings to Last of the Mohicans blasting through the wall as Doug's roommate Mike was getting ready for church (Or maybe he was just trying to bug us, who knows? Crazy Canadian.) My favorite roommates that came out of this apartment: Callister, Que Sera, Spencer, and ACG.
Next on our trip, my life with Doug (or Dougie Fresh for you Liberty Square kids).
Here is a picture of our first apartment after we got married. It was a hole. A hole in the basement. Included within this hole was a microscopic kitchen and a free standing heating unit that we were afraid to leave on while we were sleeping. Who cares, we had our love. Good times man, good times.
Here is a picture of our restaurant of love, La Dolce Vita. We ate here often and came here after Doug proposed. I was so happy to see that it was still around.


Another restaurant of love is Bombay House. I didn't take a picture of the outside, but I was able to introduce Katie and Chad to Indian Food at this yummy restaurant. Here they are looking full and happy. We ended this fun, but tiring day by watching the movie Leatherheads. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day. Stay tuned for the next installment: Sunday. I promise that this one will be much shorter.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the ride down memory lane. I love seeing all of these familiar places! I'm so glad you got to have a nice RELAXING trip! :-)

Heather A said...

It is fun to see pictures of those places that are familiar to me too. I spent a lot of my BYU time in those same areas, although I never had the pleasure (is that the right word?) of living in Deseret Towers.

Heather K said...

Scott was living at Liberty Square when we met too... Except I was still living at home in Salt Lake (and I was still in high school too, hehe.).

Jessica said...

Oh man, isn't funny that all of us who were in Provo remember all of this stuff too. It was crazy to look at some of those pictures. The restaurants in Provo are so awesome too. We also loved La Dolce Vita and Bombay House, two of our favorites. And of course everyone loves Cafe Rio.

Jessica said...

Our first apartment was also a hole in the basement, which I'm even willing to venture was smaller than your hole in the basement.

Trish said...

Beth, Beth, Beth. I am so proud to say that this journey you have described was also in somewhat my journey. Deseret Towers was the best, "MAN ON THE FLOOR." 8B - woah I can't even begin to decribe how much fun we had in 8B. Can I just say 90210 and Melrose Place? I don't think any college apartment watched more TV than the girls of 8B. I remember the times of doing nails and drinking Diet coke. Do you think they have changed the carpet? So much fun. Here are a few words that only you will understand....Roy, Lynn, Wendover, Vegas, Destin's bad breath, Portland (my modest bridesmaid dress unlike everyone else's), hiking in the uintah's, being carried out of the uintah's, Morgan "MuGs", Harts, cat in tree, Liz, Karen and Alexa fiasco, Victoria Secret catalogs, 60 gallon trash can, Sally Jesse Raphael, Barfus, and Church in the testing center.

Beth said...

Oh Trish, how much do I love you!!

Carie said...

I heart this post. You sound like you are having a blast.

Dehner Family said...

Mmmmm. Cafe Rio.