Monday, June 9, 2008

I Tried

Today, I tried to be a fun mom. I went with some friends down to a farm about 1/2 hour away to pick strawberries. I had a feeling that this outting was going to be diffcult when Tyler woke up this morning, clearly suffering from allergies. He was a mess. But, I was committed. So, I got everyone ready and we headed down to the farm. It was blazing hot and very humid and so I slathered the kids in sunscreen to protect their precious skin. However, Tyler has very sensitive skin and so today I tried a new sunscreen that I thought worked for him last year. I was wrong. He didn't really break out in rash until the end of the day, but as soon as that poor boy started to sweat the sunscreen ran in his eyes. He sweat a lot today, and the sunscreen ran into his eyes all day. He was not a happy boy. Picking strawberries was fun, but short since we were so late getting to the farm since it took us FOREVER to get out of the house. Then we headed to the local YMCA for a little swimming. By the time we got lunch and everything, Tyler had just had it. I sat at the pool with him for about 20 minutes while he just cried and cried, and rubbed sunscreen in his eyes (I swear I kept trying to wipe it off, but the stuff wouldn't go away), and refused to eat, or go in the pool. So, I packed Tyler and myself up and we headed home. Lucky for Dillon and Kelsey, my wonderful friends were willing to watch them and bring them home. This is what I get for trying to be a fun mom. There is a reason I don't do it very often. Although, I really do need to get a good pool routine down if we are going to get our money's worth out of our YMCA membership.
Sweaty Dillon after picking strawberries
Sweaty Kelsey after picking strawberries
Sad, sweaty, suncreened eyed Tyler after picking strawberries.
Pint of strawberries.

3 comments:

Trish said...

Beth you are a fun mom! Have you not observed your slide into the plastic pool set up in the back yard? ITS AWESOME. So that means you are awesome.

Kenna said...

I have tried three or four different times to pick strawberries since we moved to Toledo and everytime have failed. Either the patch is closed or they aren't allowing pick your own or some other thing. So consider it an accomplishment that you actually picked them!

We also joined the YMCA for the outdoor pool and as it turns out, we use it very little! Oh well.

Dehner Family said...

Poor Tyler. He looks done in that picture. I've had the same sunblock experience - no fun.
See what you get when you try to be a fun mom - torture.