Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Pokemon Party

I must admit that I was in no way feeling like throwing a birthday party this year and so it is kind of a miracle that I was able to pull on off. We had the party in my parent's backyard, because it is so much more fun than my own. Here are the highlights:

We started out with a little Pokemon scavenger hunt. I printed off pictures of various Pokemon and hid them throughout the yard. I broke the boys up into 2 teams and the team that found the most Pokemon got to choose from the stuffed Pokemon basket first. I gave each of them a small stuffed Pokemon instead of sending them home with a goody bag full of junk.




Dillon's team did not win, but never fear, he got to choose his toy before the party started.





In the next game, the kids paired up. The Pokemon we highlighted in this game was Caterpie, who evolves by cocooning. The kids had to wrap each other up in toilet paper as if they were in a cocoon.




The next Pokemon that was featured was Ghastly. I tied balloons to the kid's ankles and they tried to pop everyone else's balloons while protecting their own.


The final organized activity was making Fruit Loop necklaces. This was an effort to be like the Pokemon Chiquita who what looks like a necklace of green beads around his neck. I was afraid that this activity really was a bit too girly, but the boys didn't seem to mind. They were all about eating the Fruit Loops.


Finally, it was on to presents and pizza. I will spare you the bunches of pictures that I have of Dillon opening his presents, but here he is blowing out his candles. How fun are these jumbo sized Pokeball cupcakes?




It was a great party filled with games, running, and a lot of jumping on the trampoline. The boys left sweaty and happy and stuffed with junk.

5 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

Nice cupcakes. I don't know what pokeman is, but those cupcakes were suberb.

You guys have ginormous yards back there in the O Hi O

Beth said...

You are a very lucky Mommacita to not know what Pokemon is. Of course, you are not an 8 year old boy. Way too much brain space has been wasted on the intricate details of the world of Pokemon.

Britain said...

You are an awesome party planner, Beth. I especially like the idea with the balloons. What great cupcakes, too. If Ryan ever gets into Pokemon, I may steal your entire party for one of his birthdays. Happy Birthday, Dillon!!!

Kurt & Shawn said...

So sorry we missed such a fun party for the boy. What a cutie you are to have planned such fun things for our 8 year old. My heart swells with pride and they all looked like they had such a great time. You left everything in such good shape. You are always welcome to PARTY ON at the Grammy's house!!!!!! Happy Birthday Dillon!

Kenna said...

I am so impressed that you know the names of various Pokemon and how they evolve! What a cool mom you are. Looks like a great party!