Monday, June 8, 2009

Another reason why I love nurses

Almost 9 years ago I had my first baby. It was a glorious day. I remember being wheeled into my recovery room and there sitting on the table next to my bed was a little pink plastic pitcher with a styrofoam cup. Little did I know at the time how much I would come to use that little plastic pitcher during my stay.

Well, fast forward a year or so later. A friend of mind had a baby at a different hospital and so I went to visit her and to oooh and aaah over the delicious new baby. As I walked into my friend's hospital room, sitting there on the side table was the coolest water mug I have ever seen. It was just the right size, it was clear with a red top, and it had a straw! I love straws. I was instantly smitten (and little did I know it, obssessed) with this water mug. I also felt very cheated because when I had my baby I only got a pink plastic pitcher, and although I was told I could take the pitcher home with me, who wants a pink plastic pitcher? Not me.

Fast forward a bit more, I am now pregnant with my second baby. This was a rough one. As the time for the delivery drew closer, all I could think about was the water mug from the other hospital. How great would it be to have that mug? I needed that mug. In fact, I almost switched hospitals just so that I could have that mug (that and the adorable "O" hat that the hospital put on the new babies), but in the end I was chicken and decided to stick with what I already knew. It was a fine experience, but as I was wheeled into my recovery room, there mocking me on the table was that dang pink plastic pitcher. Sigh.

Fast forward still. I go to a different hospital to visit a different friend. This hospital is by far the closest to me and you don't even have to pay for parking. Two huge bonuses. So, I walk into my friend's hospital room to once again oooh and aaah over a delicious new baby when there on the side table is one of those glorious mugs. Granted it wasn't as cute as the other previously mentioned mug, but it was still glorious all the same. As I sat there talking to my friend and loving her baby, I couldn't help but feel this nawing feeling of envy rolling around in the pit of my stomach. She got a mug. If I had known they had mugs at this hospital, I would have thought about coming here. It was then that I decided that I would have my next baby at this hospital.

Still fast forwarding to my last pregnancy. Due to the closer proximity, the free parking, and THE MUG, I decide to change hospitals for my final delivery. This delivery was not my most favorite, but there was still the hope for the mug. After a bit of a delay, I am finally wheeled into my recovery room and there sitting on the side table is. . . a pink plastic pitcher. Devestation. I was a total emotional basket case as it was and this did not help. I asked the nurse about the pitcher and was informed that they no longer give out the mugs. I was officially defeated. There was no more hope for me and my quest for a mug. More salt was added to my wound when three months after I had my baby, I went back to my original hospital to visit a friend who had just had a baby and there on her side table was a mug! I was flabbergasted and extremely jealous. I never really felt comfortable about switching hospitals and this was just a bit of an "I told you so". Apparently at some point that summer they started giving out the mugs. Sigh and double sigh.

Well, my poor husband and my poor friends have been listening to me whine and complain about these stupid mugs for many years now. They have been patient and they have humored me, although I am sure that deep down they probably just wanted to smack me a little bit and tell me to get over it. I even had one fabulous friend buy me a mug from the gift shop at the original "mug" hospital. It is a great mug and I have used it a lot, but it just isn't the same.

Well, yesterday I went to my original "pink plastic pitcher" hospital to see my cute sister-in-law and my extremely sweet and delicious new nephew. Let me just say that he is adorable and tasty and has the cutest little double chin. I loved him and kissed him and felt his little face. He truly is a slice of heaven. But anyway, I got to chatting with the nurse who seems to remember me from years ago. I have always loved the nurses. They are so wonderful and nice and they just make you feel good. Besides, they really are the ones doing all the work. This nurse was no exception. She was great and had a great sense of humor and so we just clicked and had a great little chat. At some point during our chatting I somehow brought up my love of the water mugs and how I had been cheated time and time again. I didn't think anything of it as I chatted with this nurse because I have been whining about this for so long and it hasn't ever gotten me anywhere. So, the nurse is laughing along with me as I am telling her my tale and then we finish up and she leaves. I reluctantly give the baby back to my brother and begin to say my good-byes when this angel of a nurse comes in with a mug! A mug just for me! And not only that, but she filled it with that wonderful pellet ice and water. I just stood there in shock. I wanted to hug her and I wanted to cry a little bit, but instead I pulled myself together and just gushed and thanked her over and over again.

So, in conclusion I love nurses. They truly are the backbone to any hospital experience. And to yesterday's nurse, my husband loves you also because now he doesn't have to listen to me whine anymore (at least about a mug).

5 comments:

Carrie Nation said...

What a great story with a deservedly good ending. Congratulations on the mug!

Brown and Serve said...

I too have a secret love of the mug. My dear sister went to Riverside to have her third child, and she also told me of the nourishment closet. For that reason alone, I chose Riverside to deliver. Glad it was a great experience too!

[AnnieR] said...

i LOVE pellet ice.

rachel said...

I have to laugh because I have had about five of these mugs and eventually threw them out because I never used them. I should have just sent them to you!

Dehner Family said...

It was worth giving birth just to get you the mug you've always wanted. Deb was the best nurse of my stay :)