Friday, January 4, 2008
Picture this
It's early evening on a cold Friday. I pull into a gas station to put a little gas in my car after running a few errands. Kelsey and Tyler are in the back seat happily listening to a little Veggie Tales. All is well with the world. Or so we thought. After putting some gas into my car I got back inside, turned the key and. . .nothing. No power. Just some flickering lights and some clicking sounds. So, I immediately called Doug who was still at work and explained the doomed situation I was in. Being the wonderful man that he is, he said he would be on his way. Chivalrous as he is, I had to turn him down because it would take him quite a long time to get to me and he had already made it clear that he needed to work late. So, after checking out my fellow gas station patrons I decided to start calling some friends. My wonderful friend Brooke was home and was in possession of the desired jumper cables. She threw her kids in the car and flew to my rescue. So, here's where you really need to use your imagination. Two ladies are parked at the gas station. Both driving mini-vans, both have kids strapped inside. One is looking lovely in her pink, fleece pajama pants and black dress shoes (this would be me and I was only wearing the shoes because they were the easiest to find and put on and I never intended to be seen by anyone). The other is looking as cute as can be with her coat straining to stay buttoned over her adorable pregnant belly. Yes, we were the epitome of mechanical expertise. So, we hooked up our cars and after a few jolts of electricity to mine, we said our goodbyes and I was on our way. I must say that I did notice quite a few looks from the riffraff who surrounded me at the pumps, but I was feeling empowered and proud of our work. Thanks Brooke for paying attention at Young Women so many years ago. Without you, I may have had to make friends with some questionable looking characters who were just after some gas, much like myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am picturing this and loving it.
Love keeping up with your cute family!! Love the mind movie your wardrobe description created.
Hi Beth! I found a link to your blog from the Clarke's blog. I just read your most recent post and was laughing out loud. What a funny story! I can't believe how much your kids have grown. You have such a cute family!
Beth - I'm so enjoying getting to know you and your lovely wee family. No wonder Dougie married you - you're a hoot and a half! You can make the simplest thing a funny story for all to enjoy. Been there, done that btw...only I was wearing Steve's oversized gumboots and we'd run out of gas...
Post a Comment