Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Memories of dates past

A friend of mine needs a chuckle today. I hope this helps. I have been thinking a bit about the past boys that I have dated. There is an assortment. I have to admit, not a very big assortment, but an assortment nonetheless. The thing is, I didn't "date" a whole lot. It really was not my favorite. I usually tended to hold on to a boyfriend for a while until I got tired of him and then set him free. But this morning as I was exchanging emails with my friend, a past date popped into my mind and I knew it must be shared. So, come back with me to my happy days in LaLa Land. For my first three years of college I worked at the BYU Creamery. It was wonderful and I was the master shake maker. I was such a fabulous shake maker that I was often requested, especially by the grounds crew. Many good times were had at this job and many dates were also acquired at this job. Because let's face it, I looked dang cute in my little apron. Anyway, let me move on. It was summer, the height of fun, sun, and shake making. The grounds crew came in daily for a dose of ice cream and one guy in particular started talking to me more and more. Let me just say that he was not my type, but I was friendly and I didn't want to be rude. The next thing I knew he asked me out and since I was taken totally off guard I was not able to come up with a good excuse and so I was stuck. We agreed to go and play tennis. The day of the date I remember sitting in my apartment wishing with everything in me that I would be stood up. The very thought of going on this date really made me a bit sick to my stomache, but I was also too chicken to back out. Eventually the time of the date arrived and unfortunately, so did he. Let me just give you a visual description: Hair - balding, body - pudgy, soft, and squishy, clothes - thin white t-shirt, short shorts, tall socks and tennis shoes. Ugh. So, we head on outside only to find that he drove over on his motorcycle. Ugh again. I really don't like motorcycles. Frankly they scare me, and I really don't like motorcycles on a date with a squishy gross guy wearing a thin white t-shirt. Ugh. This mode of transportation meant that I had to climb on and actually touch him. Not only touch him, but hold on to him. Ugh ugh ugh. Let's just say that that was the longest game of tennis that I have ever played, but luckily I was able to get out of doing anything else after the game of tennis. Unfortunately I was not able to get out of touching him on the motorcycle after the game of tennis when he was all sweaty and nasty and a bit see-through in his thin white t-shirt. It was then and there that I swore that if I didn't want to go out with someone that I would just have the guts to say "No", or at least come up with a really good lie as to why I couldn't go out. Fortunately this boy got the hint and never asked me out again. Come to think of it, he may have even stopped coming into the Creamery. Oh well, the summer was early and there were many more boys in need of ice cream.

4 comments:

Marie Hatch Chambers said...

Excellent description. Sticky, nasty, damp tee shirt. Ick!

The Shakes sound yummy though.

Emilia said...

Excellent and appreciated story telling!! I was grossed-out right along with you!

Ah, the creamery.

Anonymous said...

You had some good times there. I love it. As I recall, your upper arms were pythonic from scooping. Cute pokey out arms. Yah, I'm always a mom thinking of cuteness from her kids.

Carrie Nation said...

Grossness. How could you stand it? Wow. Yuck. That's all I can say.