So Doug and I were snuggling under the coveres and watching a little TV last night when, in frustration, Doug threw off the blanket from himself and claimed that he was absolutely roasting. I, on the other hand, was finally starting to warm up. This caused us to once again have the conversation of how we could be so perfect for each other, except when it comes to sleeping. Doug is a big man and hot all the time. I am much smaller and cold all the time. After some deep analysis, I believe we have come to the root of this issue.
Doug grew up in Southern California with a mother and sisters who were always cold. In his words, it never fell below 70 degrees, but his mom was always turning the heat on because she was freezing. "I'm just going to take the chill off" she would say. When they added a new addition to their house, central heating was even included because his mom and sisters were always so cold. My poor man grew up baking in a heated house in So. Cal. This left him in search of cooler pastures.
I grew up in Colorado and Ohio. Both of which are known to have their cold weather. Unfortunately, I grew up with a mother who is much like Doug. Constantly hot. Her mantra in winter was "put a sweater on". Seriously, how many sweaters can one person wear? The answer is quite a few. Every winter I would pile blankets on my bed in an effort to stay warm during the night. I will never forget the Christmas that I got an electric blanket from Santa. It was the best present ever! Finally I could be warm, at least during the night. Another memory I have is from Christmas about a year after Doug and I moved back to Ohio. We were sitting around the table at my parent's house playing games with the family. As I looked around, we all either had coats on or blankets wrapped around ourselves. At one point someone even said, "look, I can see my breath", at which point they breathed outward and sure enough, there it was. My dear mother, after looking around the table at the sad lot that we were said, "Well, maybe I'll turn the heat on." Not up a few degrees, but actually turn it on for the first time that winter. Even Doug was cold that night.
So, there you have it. Doug has been scarred by his heated upbringing and I have been scarred by my frozen one. We are both in a constant quest to undo our past and even out our body temperatures. Our body temperatures may be incompatible, but if that is the worst we have to deal with then we're doing pretty good.
Happy Thanksgiving and stay warm (or cool, whichever applies).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I remember it always being cold when I spent the night at your house. Your mom said it helped us sleep better :).
OH, Beth, that was a dang funny entry.
Scott also believes in sleeping in a cold room so much so that my parents deliberately don't turn on the heat in the guest bedroom until after we come (and even then they keep it at 68 F).
He also believes in the "put on a second sweater" mantra also. Good thing we live in MN so he can be cold often and wear lots of sweaters.
Glad you check our blog even though I'm terrible about commenting on yours. It really is fun to still be in contact with you after all these years.
And your children are adorable. And you are a wonderful mother.
Post a Comment