Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Literary assistance please
I need a short story for my new book club this Thursday. I can't recall ever reading a short story, although I am sure that I have at some point. Anyway, I don't even know where to start and I don't have time to search for one. Does anyone have a favorite short story that I could use?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
"Rape Fantasies" by Margaret Atwood
“Ladies Night Out” by Isabel Wolff, Meg Cabot, Celia Ahern et al. is a collection of short stories from traditional chic lit writers.
"She Un-names Them" by Ursula LeGuin
"The Yellow Wallpaper" by Edgar Allen Poe. I had to memorize it once in school a LONG time ago. It's kind of funky but everything he did was kind of funky. :-)
I like "Cathedral" by Raymond Carver. And "Marigolds" by Eugenia W. Colier. And "To Room 19" by Doris Lessing.
Some other collections of short stories to look at: I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda; The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Banks; and What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver.
I actually brought "the Yellow Wallpaper" as my story last year. (But it's by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.) I literally felt like I was going crazy while I read it. Read at your own risk...
And I agree that almost everything by Raymond Carver is wonderful.
"The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber"
Ernest Hemingway
Oops sorry, I guess I was late.
Post a Comment