Monday, September 15, 2008

Hey There Ike

First let me say that I feel so bad for the people in Texas who were hit by Hurricane Ike. I can't even imagine the destruction down there. With that said, yesterday we were hit by the remnants of Ike. Fortunately we didn't get any rain or anything here, but we did get some seriously damaging wind. Power is out all over the state. Trees are down everywhere and houses are damaged. I must say that these winds made church yesterday a little bit more exciting and I am glad that the power waited to go off until we got our choco chip cookies from the teacher in RS. After winding our way home from church and bypassing many, many fallen trees on the roads, we came home to find that our power was out. In order to make the night more fun, we let the kids go out and play in the wind. Fortunately the winds had started to die down a bit by this point, so the kids had a blast and they all managed to stay firmly planted on the ground. I didn't get the best pictures of the wind because my hair kept covering my eyes, so pretend there is a lot more wind in these pictures than you see.



The power was still out in the morning and so we headed over to Grandma and Grandpa's house to play because they have a generator. Their yard was really trashed and covered with branches and leaves, but Dillon was more than happy to help Grandpa clean up. Hopefully he is ready to help when we clean up our own backyard.

Here is just one small corner. The rest of the yard is also covered with branches and leaves and whatnot. I am just happy that our huge tree didn't break.

The power came back on tonight. Hip Hooray!! We were told it could take up to a week. I love electricity and I am sooo sorry for everyone who doesn't have it back yet. Besides, I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't have blown my hair dry tomorrow. It would not have been pretty.

5 comments:

Emilia said...

this is me (still powerless, fyi) and at the library on Hard Rd, cuz the main one still isn't working NOT growling at you for having power. Because I would never begrudge you the chance to blow your hair dry. ;)

MOMMACITA said...

Like, I'm sorry about your power and all, really truly, but c'mon. Is that long legged kid in the post below really your Dillion? When did he grow? How did that happen? He was a litter muncher just a minute ago, telling us the facts in an encylopedia. All this causes me to break in to song.

Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember getting older.
When did they?
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Swiftly flow the years
One season following another
da da da da-da-da da da


Now I've got myself into a pickle because I don't remember the rest. But hopefully you get my gist.

Sharlynn said...

I am glad that you are guys are safe and sound. I can't believe how much damage one hurricane can do even after loosing some power.

Kurt & Shawn said...

Mommacita, I felt the love and the song wasn't bad either. I even swayed as I read it. We were very lucky with no trees down and you know we have zillons!!!!! Across the street a huge tree blew over ripping the roots out of the ground. It was a nightmare, I tell you, a nightmare!!! But generator on and the TV and sewing machine going strong. Beth, I am so glad you had an eye on those kids. The 75 mph winds could have easily blown your crew away. Hey, a week out of school. Obviously, those administraters are not parents!!!! Come on schools, generate up!

Britain said...

I am such a brat lately. I have been missing Ohio friends so much that I am actually a little sad that I wasn't there when Ike hit. I should be able to share these memories with you. Is that strange?