Sunday, October 21, 2007

And the votes are in. . .

Dillon has officially been voted by his class to be their representative in the Student Council. Who knew that my boy was a budding politician. The whole process was really rather adorable. He brought the application home in his back pack along with all of his other school papers. I was actually planning to just throw it away, but before I did Dillon informed me that filling out the application was part of his homework. Well, before we filled it out, I made sure that Dillon understood exactly what he was going to be required to do as a member of the Student Council. I told him that he was going to have to miss one recess a month and that he would be in meetings with older and bigger kids. He wasn't bothered at all by those things. Then I told him that he would have to get up in front of his class and speak to them about the things that the Student Council had talked about and that he would also have to have ideas and speak in front of all of the kids at the Student Council meetings. I thought for sure that this would change his mind because that thought alone would have scared me to death at his age. Instead, he just looked at me and said, "that's ok mom, I'm good at that." And really, that's the truth. He is good at speaking in front of people. He's never been shy a day in his life. This is one trait of his that he did not get from me. So, Dillon is now on the Student Council and his mission is Pajama Day.

No comments: